Photo by Frank D. Myers
Construction of this late Gothic Revival wonder began 18 June 1899 and was completed by 8 July 1900. The architect was Samuel A. Bullard of Springfield, Ill., one of the nation's leading architects of that time with a multi-state client list. It was constructed of Bedford stone with a slate roof and cost $18,000, excluding windows and lighting. It continues to be beautifully maintained by its congregation.
Lucas County Historical Society
Chariton's First Methodist Episcopal Church erected its first building, a frame structure, on the approximate site of Johnson Machine Works, northwest of the square, during 1854. During 1863-64, that building was replaced by this brick structure on the current church site. A frame parsonage had by 1869 (when this photo was taken) been added to the east.