Gary Tharp Collection/Lucas County Historical Society
The Bates House hotel was constructed by Benjamin Franklin Bates during 1872 on the north side of what now is Braden Avenue a half block west of the northwest corner of the square. Immediately to the west, between the hotel and the railroad tracks, Bates constructed a fine home for himself, his wife and their adopted daughter. These buildings were torn down during 1960. Midwest Heritage Bank currently occupies the site.