The Barnett Building, now hiding behind a well-mannered facade of single and brick and known as the Meyer Law Firm, was built to house a bakery during the fall of 1901.
The Chariton Herald reported on Sept. 12, 1901, that "Ground was broken the first of the week for another new store building, this time on the east side of the square. It is being erected by Johnson & Best for Richard Barnett and his mother. The building will be 20x70 feet, one story high, with 14-foot ceiling, and is on the vacant lot just north of Buffington's store."
The new building was nearly ready for occupancy by November, when The Herald reported in its issue of the 14th that "The Star Bakery is to move soon from its present location on the east side to the new Barnett brick building near the south end of the east side. This will give Messrs. Grove and Bowers a much better place to handle their large patronage."
According to Raymond C. Meyer, who now owns the building, the lot was purchased by D.L. Barnett from William Eikenberry on Sept. 3, 1901. D.L. Barnett and his wife, Agnes, sold the property to J.A. Brown during 1906.
By the time this undated photo was taken, the Star Bakery business apparently had been sold to Lee Tacker. Although the people standing in front are not identified, perhaps the gentlemen in the hat is Mr. Tacker and the others, obviously the bakery staff. The building continued to house a succession of bakeries for nearly 70 years.
Attorney Virgil E. Meyer, who arrived in Chariton during 1942, acquired what then was known as the Quality Bakery Building soon after that business closed in the late 1960s, remodeled the structure into its current form and moved in during 1969. It has changed little since.