Sunday, August 19, 2012

G.W. Larimer Building

North quarter of Lot 8, Block 6, Original City of Chariton

George W. Larimer commissioned this single-front building on a lot immediately north of the Union Block during the summer of 1910. The Union Block at that time housed First National Bank, lodge rooms for Chariton's Masonic and I.O.O.F. Lodges and two commercial operations facing North Main Street. The brickwork of its cornice mirrors that of the Deming & Hollinger Block just to the north, constructed in two installments --- the south half in 1902 and the north half in 1911. O.A. Hougland can be documented as architect of at least the north half of Deming & Hollinger, so it seems likely that he designed the Larimer Building as well.

The two story wall just south of the Larimer Building's south wall, which offers it support, is a fragment of the demolished three-story Union Block.

The Chariton Leader in its edition of Oct. 6, 1910, reported: ".A force of men commenced to excavate, on Monday, on the lot just north of the Union Block, on Main street, for the erection of the new brick building G.W. Larimer has contracted to erect there. This is one of the best locations in the city and Mr. Larimer could not afford to let the ground remain idle."
The Chariton Herald-Patriot, in its edition of the same date, added more information: "G.W. Larimer's new brick block just north of the Dunshee hardware store was begun the first of the week. The basement, upstairs and the rear room of the new building will be leased by Dunshee Bros., to add to their hardware and implement floor space. They will have their additional rooms connected with their present rooms, which will make them a large and convenient establishment. The main store room in the new building has not yet been rented.
By January of 1911, the building was nearing completion and The Chariton Leader of the 19th was able to report that, "The Barber and Bath rooms of Dunham, Parrott & Meadows will soon move to the elegant new brick room just north of the Union Block, now begin erected by G.W. Larimer.

No comments:

Post a Comment